Did you know that February 17 is Random Acts of Kindness Day? I just learned about this “holiday” and, in my opinion, there’s never been a better time to celebrate than 1 year into a pandemic! Seriously, nearly 12 months after our lives flipped upside down, we are still fighting the battle against Covid, which is no easy task. Let’s make the world (or at least your own mini circle) a bit brighter this month by surprising others with random acts of kindness.
Here are 20 ways to perform your own acts of kindness this month!
- Put together homeless bags and pass them out to others. Include items like socks, mittens, hand sanitizer, quarters, deodorant and chapstick.
- Buy coffee for the person behind you in the drive through line. This is such a great surprise!
- Be a “Secret Valentine” for your neighbors and drop off hand-made pictures, cards or small treats
- Shovel someone else’s walkway or driveway
- Make cookies or another treat and bring them to a friend’s house
- Send cards to a local senior center
- Hold the door for someone
- Compliment a stranger
- Tell someone you are thankful for them
- Give a hug to someone you love
- Make a care package for someone you can’t see in person right now
- Tape a dollar on a vending machine
- Paint rocks and leave them around your neighborhood
- Leave a positive review on social media for one of your favorite businesses
- Bring a neighbor’s garage can in for them
- Donate items from around the house you no longer need (toys, clothes, housewares)
- Thank a teacher that’s made an impact on your family
- Call a relative you haven’t talked to in a long time
- Offer to babysit for a friend or family member
- Give snacks or water to delivery/postal workers
Even in this tough time, we can all find ways to be kind and share our gifts with others. I know my kids and I will be brainstorming more ways we can “surprise” our friends, neighbors and community this month. If you have any other suggestions, please share them in the comments! Happy Random Acts of Kindness Day!