October is already one of my favorite months of the year (crisp apples, brightly colored leaves, fresh, cool air…what could be better?!) but it is also host to “Random Acts of Kindness” day. Technically this day is celebrated on October 5th, but I truly believe it should be celebrated all month long…especially 18 months into a pandemic. Not only will it brighten someone’s day, helping others is an immediate mood booster for you, too.
Acts of kindness don’t need to cost money or take a lot of time (although those options can be great, too!), and they can be simple enough for kids to participate, too! They can color a picture for a friend, or write their teacher a kind note. They can call a grandparent and tell them they love them, or help deliver cookies to your neighbors. Whatever you choose to do, including kids can help teach them the importance of kindness and the impact it can have on your local community.
Let’s all do a few random acts of kindness this month and bring some sweetness and happiness to our corner of the world!
Here are 25 ideas to help you get inspired to do your own “random acts of kindness” this month!
- Buy coffee for the car behind you in the drive-thru line
- Bring flowers to a friend
- Donate books or puzzles to a local senior living facility
- Make dinner for a neighbor
- Drop off extra school supplies for a teacher
- Give a compliment
- Clean up someone else’s mess
- Offer to help someone you don’t know
- Send a handwritten note
- Write a 5 star review for a local business
- Make cookies and share them with friends
- “Boo” your neighbors
- Pick up trash in a local park
- Offer to walk someone’s dog for them
- Help bring in groceries for a neighbor
- Tell someone you appreciate them
- Donate money to a cause you support
- Leave extra money in a vending machine
- Donate wishlist items to a local children’s hospital
- Let someone go in front of you at the grocery store
- Volunteer in your child’s classroom
- Send a thank you note to your local Police or Fire Station
- Leave a painted rock with an inspirational message on a walking trail
- Rake leaves for a neighbor
- Give someone you love a hug
I hope this list inspires you and your family to bring kindness to the forefront this month – and I hope it brings you as much joy as it brings others! Please share other ideas in the comments!