World Kindness Day is coming up on November 13th, 2022, and if you aren’t familiar with the “holiday”, we’re here to share the background, mission and ideas you can do in your own life to make a difference this year.
World Kindness Day began almost 25 years ago to highlight the important role kindness plays in building strong communities and improving lives. Today, the event is recognized in countries around the world, including in schools, workplaces, retail locations and public parks. It’s goal is to use kindness as a bond that bridges the barriers of race, gender or politics and threads people together in a positive way.
At SwimWest, kindness is a fundamental component of our lessons. We do our best to be a safe place for kids to learn, grow and bond as friends, swimmers and individuals. From making sure we hire instructors that we trust to be strong role models and gentle teachers to promoting an environment where all kids can participate.
That’s why it’s important to us to celebrate and honor this World Kindness Day this year, and to share some of our very favorite ideas for making a difference this year!
- Go out of your way to smile at someone while you’re out
- Let someone merge in front of you
- Send a special handwritten note to a friend or loved one
- Drop off a treat or coffee to a neighbor
- Rake leaves for someone
- Give someone a compliment
- Let someone know you’re thinking of them
- Donate food, toys or clothes to a local charity
- Pick up garbage at a local park
- Hold the door for someone behind you
- Paint rocks and leave them around your neighborhood for others to find
- Do a chore for someone
- Bring flowers to a friend
Ideas JUST for kids
- Let someone have a turn before you
- Help clean up without being asked
- Make your bed
- Give someone you love a hug
- Give someone you love a compliment
- Ask someone new to play
- Write a note or draw a picture for a friend
- Be kind to your sibling/s
We hope these ideas are a launching pad for you to create your own kindness this month! Let’s spread kindness around our local community and help make others feel loved, appreciated and cared for.