I love the holiday season. From the elaborate meals to the seasonal decor to Chestnut Praline Lattes at Starbucks, I am a sucker for ALL things holiday-themed. My car is set to 24/7 holiday music, and my tree is up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love driving around to see lights with music playing and candy canes in hand. It makes me nostalgic for being a kid and feeling like Christmas would never come soon enough, and the anticipation of it all still hits me as an adult.
But more and more, as I get older, I find myself wanting to share my joy with others. I want to donate toys to kids that might need them, or help a family with groceries. I want to make sure others are taken care of this holiday season, and give back to my community. Sometimes it can be hard to know where to begin, or how to give items or time.
We’re lucky to live in Madison, where there are TONS of opportunities to give back. Here’s a quick list of local places looking for support this holiday season, and a list of general volunteer ideas as the season approaches. There are so many more organizations beyond this list, but it’s a great place to get started if you’re looking for some specific organizations.
Madison Area Volunteer Ideas:
- Donate Gently Used Seasonal Clothing at Madison Outreach Ministry
- Donate Food at Second Harvest Food Bank or the River Food Pantry
- Donate New Children’s Clothes to Luke’s Closet
- Volunteer your time at the Zoo
- Volunteer your time with kids through Big Brothers Big Sisters
General Ideas to Give Back this Season:
- Donate new toys through the Giving Tree or other toy programs
- Pick up trash at the park
- Help a neighbor shovel their driveway
- Bake cookies for your neighbors
- Pay for someone in line behind you
- Send Christmas cards to a senior living facility