This summer, add one of our amazing Madison-area beaches to your family bucket list! We are beyond lucky to have so many amazing options right here in the Madison area (many of which are FREE!), and we’ve put together a round up of some of our favorite local swimming spots.
Grab your sunscreen and your towels (and maybe a picnic lunch!) and check out our list below!
- Troll Beach – Stoughton: clean, city water and inflatables – what more could your kids ask for? Open daily from 12-5. Admission: $9 Adult (NR) / $8 Youth (NR)
- Bernie’s Beach – Madison: A cute little beach on Monona Bay. An algae “boom” helps keep the water clean and prevent algae blooms. Admission: FREE!
- Fireman’s Beach – Verona: Sand, a water slide and a diving board?! SO FUN! Open daily and staffed with lifeguards from 12-6. Admission: $5 Adult (NR) / $4 Youth (NR)
- Devil’s Lake – Baraboo: Two sandy beaches and clean, clear water make Devil’s Lake VERY popular. Best to visit at off-peak times – and don’t forget to bring a picnic lunch! Admission: $13 for a park day pass
- Yellowstone Lake – Blanchardville: Located in the beautiful driftless region of Southwest Wisconsin, Yellowstone Lake has a great beach, clean water and beautiful views. While there are no lifeguards, Yellowstone Lake does have a roped off swimming area. Admission: $8 for a park day pass
- Lake Wingra – Madison: Combine a trip to the zoo with a dip in the lake. Lake Wingra has a sandy beach, roped off swimming area and lifeguards on duty. Keep an eye on the local water report because Vilas Beach is susceptible to the blue-green algae that plagues our local waters. If the water is clear, it’s a great spot to spend a (free!) day on the beach. Admission: FREE!
No matter where you decide to head to the water this summer, please keep safety top of mind at ALL times. Make sure your children have the proper life vests, check the water for algae before jumping in, and have a “water watcher” keep an eye of your swimmers. For more tips on keeping your child safe in the water this summer, read our latest post here.
Did we miss a beach you love? Let us know in the comments!